Today, a new software update for the Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 starts rolling out that will bring some powerful new features to your device and access to new apps you will use again and again.
Two great new functions that come with this software update are Internet sharing (otherwise known as WiFi tethering) and flip-to-silence.
Internet sharing will allow you to share your mobile Internet connection over Wi-Fi with up to five other devices or computers. In effect, it turns your Nokia Lumia 800 or Nokia Lumia 710 into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.
As for flip-to-silence, well, you turn your phone face down, and all incoming phone calls and alerts will be silenced.
As well these new features, the software update will also allow you to download some cool new Nokia apps from the Windows Phone Marketplace this July for your Lumia 800 or Lumia 710.
Chief among these are Camera Extras, which considerably enhances the camera capabilities of your device.
Install Camera Extras and you’ll have a range of new shot options:
- Smart Group Shot makes it easy to capture great group shots with just one attempt. With a single press of the camera button, five shots are taken and using advanced algorithms, you can select the best ‘face’ shot for each person in the photo.
- Action Shot allows you to take stunning images of movement and action. Take a burst of shots and you will be able to review them all one on top of another before you select the one you prefer.
- Self Timer lets you put yourself in the picture. Set the timer, then prop up the phone and then join your friends in the shot. Remember to say cheese!
- Panorama enables you to capture beautiful wide landscape images. The simple on-screen instructions guide you as you move your phone, while it stitches together panoramic images with precision alignment.
These are all amazing new camera features so we’ll be taking a closer look at Camera Extras on Conversations in the near future.
That’s not all…
Camera Extras feels like several apps rolled into one, but it’s not the only new app that will be vying for your attention once you’ve installed the software update.
- Contact Share lets you share and receive Business Cards by SMS
- Play To makes it possible for you to share pictures, videos and music from your Lumia smartphone to other DLNA –enabled devices on your home network. Play To is already available for all Lumia devices.
Getting the update
To recap, these apps (except Play To, which is already out) will only be available for your Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 710 once you have installed the new Windows Phone 7.5 software update.
The software update is available during June and July 2012 and the apps will be rolled out globally by the end of July.
Full details are on the Nokia Lumia support pages.
If you have a Nokia Lumia 900 or Nokia Lumia 610, Internet Sharing and flip-to-silence are already available, and you can also get Camera Extras and Contact Share soon (Camera Extras is available right now if you’re in the US or China). If you’ve been using them already, let us know how you’ve been getting on in the comments below.